When most folks think of family law, they think of divorce and child custody concerns. While that is a large portion of family law issues in Slidell, Louisiana to Mandeville, Louisiana, there are other concerns that occur often and fall under the family law umbrella. Sheppard Law can assist you in starting your family law case or defending you in an action started against you. As a child of divorce herself, Amber understands the delicate nature of family law proceedings and the toll it can take on all members of the family. Amber has worked cases from start to finish in many courts on the North and Southshore, including spending a year and a half representing parents in Child In Need of Care Cases for the Public Defender’s Office in Slidell City Court. Amber is also licensed in Mississippi.
Types of Louisiana Family Law Issues Sheppard Law Can Assist You With
· Paternity (unmarried or married couples) o Establishment/Filiation o Disavowal · Settlement Negotiations and Drafting · Marriage o Prenuptial agreement (agreement signed before marriage) o Antenuptial agreement (agreement signed after marriage) · Divorce o Contested or uncontested o At fault or not at fault o Interim and final spousal support o Contempt of Court o Exclusive use and occupancy during separation process · Child Custody (unmarried or married couples) o Ex Parte Emergency Custody o Establishment of child custody o Modification of child custody o Child Supporto Child Support Modification o Contempt of Court o Child In Need Of Care representation (parents, family members, grandparents, or other interested parties) o Enforcement of a Foreign Judgment o Relocation o Guardianships o Adoptions o Third party visitation (grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc) o Consent judgments
· Temporary and Permanent Protective Orders o Against physical abuse o Against stalking and harassment o Against destruction of marital property
· Interdictions o Limited interdiction o Full interdiction
· Community Property Division o Contested or uncontested community property partitions o Business divisions o Sworn Detailed Descriptive Lists (SDDLs) o Traversals (SDDLs) o Retirement, 401K, insurance, marital home division o Consent judgments
· Personal Documents o Powers of Attorney (general, medical, and/or living will)
· Wills and Successions
Schedule Your Consultation
Schedule your paid consult with attorney Sheppard to go through your case, develop a plan, and see what options are most cost-effective and efficient for your Louisiana or Mississippi law needs and budget.
Fee Options For Louisiana and Mississippi Family Law Services
At Sheppard Law, Amber is very cognizant of your budget and resources.
Hourly rate is fixed. However, Sheppard Law does offers sliding scale rates for hourly services if your circumstances warrant it. You must have proof of a hardship and it is up to Amber as to alter her hourly rate and by how much, if at all.
While most services are billed at an hourly rate, there are times when a flat fee may be in your best interest. When is that?* Let’s say you know your ex is going to fight you on everything and file extensive discovery or motions that you will have to defend against. Rather than charge you hourly, which could add up quickly, we could enter into an agreement to do work until a certain point (such as through a Hearing Officer Conference in Louisiana or through trial) for a set rate.
Other times a flat fee is offered? To draft a will, handle a succession, drafting of settlement documents, or drafting of powers of attorney.
Fee options are discussed at your paid consultation with Amber in order to find what options are available to you in your situation. All fee agreements will be in writing in a signed contract between yourself and Sheppard Law should Amber be hired to represent you in your Slidell family law case.
*This is just one example of when a flat rate may be beneficial to your budget and case. All rates and options will be discussed on a case by case basis with Amber during your consultation. Amber is not your attorney unless and until a contract has been signed by the client and Amber and payment, whether flat or advanced deposit, has been received.
Amber Sheppard is a life-long Northshore Louisiana native who, along with her service dog Tubbs, spends her time working tirelessly for her Louisiana and Mississippi small business, family law, personal injury, and attorney clients in the courtroom, on the platform, or in the boardroom.